Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day -5

Thirsty? I was paranoid that Chris wouldn't have enough liquids
for the Cyclo portion, so I went out and bought orange juice,
apple juice, milk, 12 cans of diet coke, 12 cans of lemonade,
12 bottles of Gatorade, and 4 sparkling orange drinks.
 Chris pretty much just summed up today. Right before I started writing this blog, he turned to me and said, "I hate Cyclo."

For some reason, this type of chemo just does not sit well with Chris. Within an hour of them starting the chemo, Chris was noticeably different. He was tired, had the chills (but no fever!), and just felt awful. He also is not a fan of having to make himself go the washroom every hour. However, this time he seems to be able to go to the washroom every hour (knock on wood) and he doesn't seem to be retaining the liquid like he did during the stem cell collection (see previous posts).

We were at the hospital at 9:00 this morning, which we learned is the absolute worst time to arrive. The hospital is apparently experiencing high patient volume right now. Due to this,  finding a parking spot is maddening. After they did the usual tests (vitals and blood), Chris started on two hours of hydration, then two hours of Cyclo, followed by another two hours of hydration. During this time, he did some baseline tests with the physiotherapist, who recommended a bunch of exercises for Chris during the procedure. We also met with the social worker again, who is really great. She asked us a bunch of questions about our family, our living conditions and how we were going to cope during the procedure.
We also met with the pharmacist and one of the clinical physicians on the floor to discuss whether Chris would remain an out-patient for the Cyclo. We decided to try the Cyclo as an out-patient, but if Chris has any problems again, or if he is just too tired to being going back and forth then they will admit Chris for the Cyclo portion.

However, Chris may still be admitted despite our best efforts even if he can manage the Cyclo and staying awake for four days. Apparently we are expected to get 50 cm of snow on Sunday, and since it is a known fact that everyone loses their ability to drive in Ottawa when we get our first big snowstorm of the year and Chris' transplant is really time sensitive, we may stay over the Sunday night to make sure that Chris is there without any issues.

Tomorrow, we are starting bright and early at 7:30. Since Chris is starting the antithymocyte globulin (ATG) tomorrow we are going to be there all day. We will do four hours of ATG, followed by two hours of hydration, two hours of Cyclo and then another two hours of hydration. The may give the ATG over a longer period of time (up to 10 hours) if Chris has an allergic reaction to the ATG. This happens in some patients, however, if they slow down the infusion it will stop the reaction.

Until then we will be up every hour on the hour, so if you can't sleep tonight, feel free to send us an email or text because we will likely be awake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment